Monday, April 22, 2013

thoughtful comments about Curtis Leidal

In an email from Richard Holstad -


Much time has gone by already since your Dad’s passing and I am still thinking of the best words to express my sympathy.
So many deaths recently.
In your Dad’s case, one can say the usual “His struggles are over” or “He had a long wonderful life” or “He is in a better place now” ……  on and on.

But we are talking about Curtis now.  To me, Curtis is one of those people who is supposed to “always be there”.
I have to force myself to adjust my thinking to the fact that he is not there.
I mentioned to you a time or two that Luella and Curtis ALWAYS sent me a Christmas card, whether I deserved it or not.
No matter how much trouble I was in; whatever I had done; Curtis and Luella were always there and they always greeted me with the same “So nice to see Richard” attitude.
Sometimes I thought I should throw my hat in the room first to see if it “drew any fire”.  Of course nothing never did draw fire from them; they always had outstretched arms.

Your Father-Son relationship with Curtis was most likely interspersed with the necessary discipline, not 100% warm and fuzzy times as I am describing.

When I lost my dad, it wasn’t very long before it occurred to me that he was the only one who would recall some football play the he thought was “just outstanding”, or a track meet that should have been 0.1 seconds longer because I was gaining on the lead runner so fast the only problem was the track was just a “smidgen” too short ….. a couple more strides and I wound have had the lead.   
Nobody tells me those stories anymore because no one else was watching the way he was.

Curtis and Luella did make me feel important though.  That was something I will remember and pass along about them with my memories of them ….. “They made me feel important”.

My sympathies go out to you and your family, for sure.  You will get condolences from far and wide from folks from whom you otherwise infrequently have contact.
I consider myself one of those uncommonly available targets for you, Lee.  By that I mean we both know we can communicate electronically with one another within seconds or minutes time on the internet.

Take care of yourself, Lee.
My sympathies to you and best wishes,

No comments:

Post a Comment